Missing teeth can lessen a person’s confidence and make them feel more than a little self-conscious when smiling.
Fortunately, dental implants are a great option if you seek a long-term solution that also happens to look and feel incredibly natural and strong.
Keep reading to learn more about dental implants -and how they can restore a beautiful smile.
What are Dental Implants?
Basically, implants are titanium or zirconium rods that replace tooth roots. They’re surgically implanted into the jaw bone and once the implant heals, it can be restored with a single tooth or multiple teeth.
An artificial tooth or crown will be positioned on top to replace the missing tooth, and the outcome usually looks and feels very natural. Dental implants are a permanent replacement for lost teeth and should last a lifetime with regular checkups and good oral hygiene.
Types of Dental Implants
Here are the most common types of dental implants:
- Single Tooth/Multiple Teeth Implants. These implants are strong, long-lasting replacements for one missing tooth or a few missing teeth. They are mounted into the jawbone using titanium screws. Eventually, the bone fuses with the titanium screws to form a base that firmly secures the tooth.
- Mini Implants. These consist of tiny titanium alloy implants that are typically less than 3mm in diameter serving as roots. Just one session can restore your smile, and it is a terrific alternative if you are not eligible for traditional implants.
- All-on-four implants. All-on-four implants are a revolutionary method for replacing a full set of teeth and use titanium implants to anchor a complete dental bridge. Patients who have experienced bone loss due to periodontal disease can benefit from this procedure.
Implants Versus Dentures For Seniors
Although dentures are a common solution for the elderly population, they have several drawbacks:
- Dentures are painful.
- They aren’t as strong or stable as implants.
- They may require ongoing replacement, which is costly in the long run.
- Dentures can prove unstable when speaking or eating.
Although many older persons worry that they can be too old for a dental implant, it’s always best to consult with a qualified dentist first.
Do You Need a Dental Treatment Plan?
The foundation of good dental care is a comprehensive dental treatment plan. It makes for a convenient reference for your dentist and provides coverage for a patient’s immediate and upcoming dental care requirements – paving the way for strong, healthy teeth that last.
There’s nothing like a complete set of teeth to make you feel more confident. Here at Dogwood Dental Spa in Waxhaw NC, we use only the latest, most cutting-edge technology and techniques to help you achieve the best smile you deserve.