Skin conditions can be frustrating and can make you feel self-conscious. However, there are options available to help address them.
One such option is IPL (Intense Pulsed Light) laser therapy. This treatment uses a broad spectrum of light to target specific skin conditions like fine lines and wrinkles.
Keep reading and learn more about what happens during and even after IPL laser treatment.
What Is IPL Laser?
An IPL (Intense Pulsed Light) laser facial is a non-invasive cosmetic procedure that uses intense pulsed light to improve the appearance of the skin. The treatment is designed to target specific skin conditions, such as:
- Sun Damage
- Age Spots
- Acne Scars
- Fine Lines
- Broken Capillaries
- Vascular and Pigmented Lesions
- Dilated Blood Vessels (Spider Veins)
The laser emits a broad spectrum of light that is absorbed by the pigments in the skin. This causes the pigments to break down, which in turn improves the appearance of the skin.
The treatment is typically performed in a series and can be done on the face, neck, chest, and hands. The IPL laser facial is considered to be a safe and effective way to achieve a more youthful and radiant appearance.
What Happens During IPL Treatments?
To come up with the right treatment plan, your provider will assess your skin and discuss your concerns and objectives during your initial consultation.
Here’s what to expect during the treatment:
Your provider will gently cleanse your skin.
They’ll ask you to put on protective goggles.
Your provider will apply a cooling gel or topical anesthetic before moving the IPL device across the treatment area.
According to some patients, the light pulses feel like the snapping of rubber bands against the skin, but otherwise, the sensation is pretty tolerable.
What Happens After An IPL Treatment?
After an IPL laser facial treatment, patients may experience some mild side effects, including redness, swelling and bruising that resolve within a few days. It’s also perfectly normal for a crust to form over pigmented spots in the treated area (much like scabs), but these usually flake off on their own after a few days.
The good thing is, the results of the treatment can outweigh the potential side effects. The potential outcomes of the treatment are:
- Improved skin texture. IPL laser facials can help to reduce fine lines and wrinkles, and can improve the overall texture and tone of the skin.
- Reduced sun damage. The treatment can help to reduce the appearance of age spots, freckles, and other types of sun damage.
- Reduced redness. IPL laser facials can help to reduce the appearance of redness caused by rosacea.
- Hair Reduction. IPL laser therapy can also be used to reduce unwanted hair on various parts of the body.
- Clearer, brighter skin. IPL laser facials can help to improve the overall appearance of the skin, making it look clearer, brighter and more youthful.
- Reduced pore size. IPL laser therapy can also help to reduce the size of pores and make the skin look smoother.
It’s important to note that results may vary from person to person, and multiple sessions may be needed for best results.
If certain signs of aging like fine lines, wrinkles, and hyperpigmentation are a big concern for you, visit us here at Dogwood Dental Spa in Waxhaw, NC, and let our highly trained providers assess if you’re a good candidate for an IPL laser facial.
Call us now and schedule your appointment today!